April 7, 2009

Continued

So it's been a few days since I finished the trilogy. I wanted to let it soak a minute before I wrote something.

I've read a lot of books, really I have. That being said, I really think the imagery Tolkien uses is unmatched. He's a wordsmith, an absolute genius, when it comes to telling you about a place. His language is incredible. How we came to put this entire series to be is baffling. One thing I noticed this time around, was the underlying character development. You can sense Frodo's corruption from early 6th book. You can tell how hard Sam struggled when he decided to leave Frodo behind and take the ring himself. I personally wished he had. In general I think Tolkien's development of smaller characters such as Faramir and Eowyn is underrated.

If the series lacks anything, I think it's too short. Honestly, I read the series in 5 days. Tolkien himself thought it was too short. Other than that, this series is perfection, and easily covers ground in a hundred pages that would take other writers entire novels to cover properly.

No comments: